Saturday 18 February 2012

Easy Sewing Machine Cover

Hope that you all are having a great weekend:)  We woke up this morning to a beautiful winter wonderland....one of the few times I enjoy snow is on mornings like this...it was absolutely beautiful and had I not been running out the door, it would have been a great morning to take pictures.

This afternoon I worked on a SUPER EASY Sewing Machine Cover.  For this project, you really don't even have to use a sewing machine - you could kick it old school and sew by hand, or I'm certain that heat n'bond would work great for this project too!  But, seeing as this was a cover for my sewing machine I opted to use it:)

I have a little sewing nook in our bedroom and because of this I didn't want to use the big plastic cover for the machine - it's not cute AT ALL, but I needed something to keep dust and little fingers away.  Of course, Pinterest had just the perfect solution...I found my inspiration from the Martha Stewart website and it honestly took me 15 minutes (NOTE - five of those minutes were dealing with a little four year who decided to cut my measuring tape in half! So....really it was only 10 minutes!!)

Here are the deets:




-tea towel (I got mine for .75 cents at IKEA)
-twill tape
-sewing machine, needle and thread or heat n'bond

Cut your twill tape into 4 strips 10-14" long.


On all four of the ties, fold one end 1/4" and sew in place.


Put the tea towel over the machine and decide where you would like the ties.  Pin the ties to the tea towel and sew in place.


Pat yourself on the back and admire your work.  Of course, you could step it up a notch and add ruffles, felt flowers, your initials or one of your favourite quotes - the options are endless;)  Whether you decide to add emblishments or leave it as is, I think that this looks much nicer than the plastic cover!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend:)

I'm linking up to some of these fun parties!


The Pinterest Challenge




Beneath my Heart - Best DIY Projects
Not Just a Housewife - Show Me What Ya' Got
Serenity Now - Weekend Bloggy Reading
Finding Fabulous - Frugalicious Friday
Ginger Snap Crafts - {wow me} wednesday
A Little Knick Knack - EBTKS Link
A bowl full of lemons - Tuesday Link Party
Simple Home Life - Features and Simply Creations Link Party
Bacon Time in Northern Cali - Anything Goes Linky
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday
Delightful Order - Delightfully Inspiring Thursday
House of Hepworths - Hookin' up with HoH
Tatertots and Jello - Weekend Wrap Up
I Heart Nap Time - Sundae Scoop Link Party

8 comments:

  1. This is adorable! I so need one! I hope you'll link this up to my new linky party! I'm a new follower! Hope you'll stop by and follow along if you'd like!

    Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/saturday-spotlight-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super cute. I have those exact tea towels,....gotta love Ikea (though they are probably more useful in your application as I find they don't really do a great job drying, lol). Thanks so much for sharing at our Link It Up Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! My sewing machine cover could totally use a revamp!! I may have to make one of these!!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Seven Alive! Love your shop! I work for a photography company and we are always looking for vendors. We ask for a few sample items and then we will give you the images in return. Let me know if you are interested!
    Also feel free to come visit my blog! Follow along if you like!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I have those towels! This would be a great use for them! I love the red stripe. Great idea, thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute and practical idea. The grainsack look to the towel makes it even cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea-so much prettier with a cover-I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow,,its nice simple idea to make a sewing machine cover. we can use white fabric with liner and its cool, this site give me some great information. many thanks

    steve
    http://www.greenhomeremodels.com

    ReplyDelete